9.11.2012

My Man's Mistress

I have a very interesting visitor in my home. I knew when she was coming, and how long she would stay... but I didn't quite understand how exhausting her company would be. She ALWAYS wants attention... Monday Night, Thursday Night, Friday Night and ALL day Saturday and Sunday!
Yes, Football has returned. Now you might be thinking, "What? Football is the full package! How can you not like her!??!" It's not that I don't! I just can only take her in small doses. Like babies.

It's only been a couple of weeks, but I've already burned through 3 more shows on my blessed Netflix subscription. It's time for a new hobby while she continues her visit. That is why I've decided to open an online Etsy shop. Etsy is a place where people actually do the things you see on Pinterest and sell the stuff they make. The question I have for you is what should I create an inventory of?

I could do something with my photoshop/design background, like this art print:
or invitations:

I could do something with my handwriting, like calligraphy:
or favors:

I could do something a little more crafty for the home, wreaths:
maps/wall art:
or knickknacks:

I could do party/wedding decor:

And of course, I can do custom shoes:

PLEASE HELP! I know I want to concentrate on just one or two things, but what? Opinions?

P.S. I should probably mention that besides the shoes, these pictures are not mine! I've done variations on all of these products for my own home/wedding but my camera doesn't have that kind of quality.

14 comments:

  1. I would actually go for the custom shoes. I feel like artistic talent sells better on etsy than other stuff, because I think a lot of people look at things on etsy and say, "I could day that." But they probably couldn't paint a pretty bad-a pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all...i second the whole football thing. as if a million games a week isn't enough there's managing the fantasy football team too...but i love my shoes and i agree. i get a lot of ideas off pinterest and etsy and think that I can just make it myself. i also can't do calligraphy/cute handwriting very well and think it could be marketable to the wedding folk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! I really thought that being a football fan meant you watched your team play and then you were done! Nope!

      Delete
  3. hey i want to hire you!!! message me rates and stuff for save the date tags and rsvp cards and calligraphy for envelopes. please and thank you :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brielle! we are both in the same position! I'm getting ready to open a shop, and trying to figure things out as well! I would do your shoes for sure. They're super unique and there probably aren't as many people doing them...I think you're right in wanting to just specialize in one or two things. that's what I'm doing. I've been doing lots of "research" on etsy and the people who specialize in one or two things seem to have more business. so yes, my vote is the shoes! and maybe another featured item every few weeks? just a thought. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked out your earrings! So cute :) Thanks for the tips sweet thang!

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh I love your handwriting! ;)

    I think you are so dang talented! I would look up upcoming flea markets/craft shows in surrounding communities and feature a booth for your stuff as well. And have cards with etsy website, etc on them to pass out. I've bought things from people who did that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my first anonymous comment! Haha I love it! Thank you so much, I think that might be the perfect place to get started! A town just north of me has an awesome flea market every month!

      Delete
  6. I'm loving the shoes and the screen print with photo shop stuff for the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain! All the guys talk about the games at work and unfortunately I know way too much about what they are talking about! Allllll day Sunday! I love love the graphic design stuff! I would totally buy prints for a nursery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha um YEAH... I felt like I had to study before I went to work! If you have an idea/theme for your nursery let me know! I'd love to try out some designs for you!

      Delete
  8. I want to say the handwriting, but i witnessed you writing wedding invitations, and i want you to remember that before you start that business.
    And i want to say wedding invitations, but that would mean that when i get married ( and i pray that is somewhere in the next 10 years) that mine won't be as unique because YOU Will do them.
    So there, i have ruled out my top two chooses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yo b you should sell lil notebooks...

    http://www.scoutbooks.com/shop/category/bookstore/notebooks/diy/

    you can get blank ones in bulk for cheap and paint/print/draw on the cover to customize it.

    liiii you could make a lovely custom stamp and roll on some heavy ink and BAM MAAM you got yo fine self some beautiful + unique notebooks/sketchbooks to sell

    product with purpose, ah-ya welcome

    luh u - elle

    ReplyDelete
  10. That anonymous comment was from me, melissa nichols! lol I typed in my name but it only showed up on one of my comments!

    ReplyDelete