11.03.2013

How Netflix is Like Being in a Relationship


More and more I realize that having a subscription to Netflix is like being back on the dating scene.

1.  There is that first stage, the hunt. So many options, but so few that will fill your needs.

You dig through the trenches trying to find "the one" but quickly realize this is not going to be a fairy tale ending.

2. You get experimental and try out an episode here or there. Maybe you were judging too harshly on appearances?

Nope, you were right to stay away. 

End things and move on.

3. Here is were you get a little desperate. You take pity on a show that is not really your type. 

Yes, there are some red flags. 

But you ignore them because you can tell how hard it wants to make you happy.

Things are okay for a while. But small things accumulate, and there comes a breaking point when you realize...

In the end you just become resentful.

The bond disintegrates. If your honest with yourself, it's a relief.

4. But then, when you think all is lost, you find it.

Oh, you know that feeling.

The show you want to be with forever.

Although the world continues at the same pace, time slows for you. You find it hard to concentrate on anything else.

You begin to lose friends due to your intense relationship. 

You spring awake in the morning knowing that you can get half an episode in before work.

And every stolen moment shared together makes you giddy. 


5. But then it happens. You go to press the "next episode" button and it is NOT THERE.

No. Not this. Why did it have to end like this? WHY??

You cease to function. So alone. So empty. 

You try to fill the hole by trying out other shows, but this is a pain that can't be fixed by a rebound. 

You'll scroll by and think:

But just like any true love. You know that time, distance, or heaven help us, a show canceling, will not suppress your feelings. 

All in all, it has got to be said, Netflix-

Also, while we are on the subject, I need a new show! 

Here is a list of current Netflix shows I've completed:

24
30 Rock
Arrested Development
Batman Beyond
Bones
Breaking Bad
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Dawson's Creek
Derek
Dexter
Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23
Friday Night Lights
Gossip Girl
Greek
Heroes
House of Cards
Keeping Up
The Killing
Lost
Mad Men
Parenthood
Parks and Recreation
Prison Break
The O.C.
One Tree Hill
Revenge
Scandal
Sherlock
Vampire Diaries
The Walking Dead
The West Wing
White Collar
Wilfred

Here are shows I've watched but not made it through a whole season (Any of them worth a second try?)

90210
Desperate Housewives
Drop Dead Diva
Glee
Grey's Anatomy
Hart of Dixie
Lie to Me
Once
Pretty Little Liars

Yes I am a little embarrassed about how long that list is.

18 comments:

  1. Haha, Brielle you are awesome. I love how long that list is. Anyway, one show I would recommend is The Tudors. It's a drama about King Henry the VIII and his six wives. It is excellent, kinda/really dirty, so don't judge me. I ended up fast-forwarding through a lot of sex scenes...but looking past that, it really is well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I may or may not watch Game of Thrones so I am an expert at fast forwarding! I'll definitely check it out!

      Delete
    2. haha yes! Let me know if you like it!

      Delete
  2. We are Grey's fans over here! If you weren't really into the first season I'm not sure if it'll be for you, although it does pick up a bit in the second season. The fourth season gets kind of weird because of the writers strike and there are only like 12 episodes. But if you liked Scandal, try it again! Same writers/director. We have enjoyed The Gaurdian and Glen's absolute favorite right now is New Girl. I'll be trying to sleep and he's laughing out loud watching it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a ridiculous Grey's fan. So I always say to give that a second try. I'm currently in a relationship with Friday Night Lights. Though I'm in the last season, and the end is in sight. So much sadness. Also, Derek is a good series, if you don't mind language. It's a quickie, but it gave me the feels SO much. PS Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you might love TV as much as I do!!! Greys is my forever love, but some people can't get into it, and 10 seasons is a little intimidating. I also really like Brothers and Sisters, it kind of reminds me of parenthood! Also the Good Wife is AWESOME! not sure if it is on Netflix though, but so good, I cried when I got caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really LOVE hart of dixie. Haha. I really liked Drop Dead Diva for a while, but the ending sucks because they ended up cancelling the show. And I've been watching pretty little liars, and grey's anatomy and i like both just fine! I still watch glee for the music but that show is SO old news right now. A lot of the shows you've watched I have watched them too. Are you watching The Originals? I like it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If Veronica Mars is still on Netflix then it is A MUST! There were three seasons before it was cancelled BUT they're making a movie now and it will come out in 2014. Seriously it's probably one of my favorite TV shows of all time. (That and Prison Break, but I see you already have that one under your belt.) Just talking about it makes me want to go back and watch it again. For the 5th time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I love your blog! You are hilarious! Okay I have to say how I met your mother ALL THE WAY. It's by far our favorite show. And we were pretty obsessed with lie to me and were heartbroken when it ended, but we like crime shows. Might be worth another chance. I'm also really excited because I just saw that they put a show called chuck on netflix. I was crazy obsessed with it my freshman year of college so I'm going to make Matt watch it with me again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stick with Pretty Little Liars. It's a great guilty pleasure. And West Wing. Has Breck ever watched that show? It's my favorite. Also, Roswell. An oldie but pretty fun. And ditto to the Veronica Mars fan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep watching pretty little liars..it gets much better after the first season! I also love Once Upon a Time, Glee, and Drop Dead Diva (two of which I noticed you already gave a try). Oh ALIAS! That's a good one that you should see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grey.'s anatomy is a good one, we really liked Lie to me, and I really liked desperate housewives!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty Little Liars. Just watch it. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh you need to finish hart of dixie, seriously it gets so addicting (it became my netflix relationship) haha and PRETTY LITTLE LIARS for sure and greys is always good (all of these shows are ridiculous but just so dang good!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. pretty little liars. and is that Sherlock the one on BBC? bc if not, watch those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. retry desperate housewives and watch Alias and Call the Midwife ASAP!

    ReplyDelete